It is important for you to know how skin care works before you begin using beauty products meant for caring and treating the skin. Having an understanding of the various products used to care for the skin helps you make an informed purchase. It also ensures that you are able to select products that are suited for skin type/condition thus getting the most out of them.
In this article, we are going to discuss the difference between serums and face oils. You are going to learn about how which of these you need and how you can use them.
Face Oils VS Face Serum
Both face oil and face serum are usually taken to be in the same category when that should never be the case. Serums usually have a thin but watery consistency and are formulated with a high concentration of active ingredients. This is done to enable deep penetration beyond just the surface of the skin.
Vitamin C serum is particularly formulated for targeting certain skin care concerns which include; acne, aging and skin dullness. Serums are also best for dealing with issues like wrinkles, fine lines and redness.
Face oil on the other hand is not formulated with water thus are thicker in consistency, this makes them good for keeping the barrier of the skin smooth and nourished. If you are looking for a solution that will nourish, protect and moisturize your skin, then you should consider face oil.
Serums tend to be pricier than face oils because the work that they are formulated to perform is usually more specific.
How to use face oil
- Always use a small amount – you can start with 2-6 drops depending on your skin type. If you experience breakouts, you will need to reduce the amount that you use.
- Massage into the face and neck – you can massage the face oil into your face in order to enhance absorption into the skin. It would be best to apply on damp skin to trap moisture.
- Always apply it last in your routine – doing this helps as face oil acts as a barrier of your skin’s outer layer
- Best for you to apply in the evening – this is the time the skin has time to rest and thus will make easier for the oil to repair and protect it as you sleep. You may also apply a single drop in the morning during your no-makeup days.
How to use face serum
- Find out your skin concern – you will find out your skin concern and then will choose a serum that contains the appropriate ingredients.
- Test it on a small area – you can do this with a few drops of the best face serum product before you can apply on other areas of your skin. This helps you determine whether it works well for you.
- Apply before oil and moisturizer – however do this after cleansing to ensure that it get properly absorbed into your skin
- Best to use once per day – you can decide when best you think it is best to use it whether morning or evening.