Image Source: Pexels
Do you currently have a cavity? Perhaps your gums are sore? Don’t wait until there’s a problem or something bothers you before seeing the dentist or searching for a prosthodontist near me.
Delaying restorative dental work can have serious consequences and therefore reaching out to a team of experienced dentists such as the Gresham dentists at Main Street Dental in Oregon can help you to protect your smile. So, let us discover some important reasons you should never delay restorative dental work.
What You Need To Know About Restorative Dentistry
Restorative dentistry involves dental treatments that are done to restore your teeth so you can use them to their full potential. This area of dentistry includes a wide array of different treatments. Some of the most common are:
- Dental crowns – crowns sit over the top of teeth that have dramatically eroded, damaged or decayed in some way. The crown holds the remaining pieces together and covers the rest of the tooth to prevent further damage. Crowns look like natural teeth, so they can restore the shape and size of your tooth.
- Cavity fillings – fillings come in all sorts of materials these days, like gold, tooth-coloured resin and even silver amalgam. They fill gaps in your tooth enamel that are usually caused by decay.
- Dental implants – implants are also used to replace missing teeth. The implants replace your tooth’s root with a metal pose. The post fuses to your jawbone to create a base. A prosthetic tooth is then attached to the post and is created using a porcelain crown.
Image Source: Pixabay
- Dental bridges – bridges are designed to bridge a gap left by a tooth that’s been extracted or fallen out. Bridges are created from crowns and then attached to neighbouring teeth for optimum support.
Dental Problems Can’t Get Better On Their Own
Unlike some health or medical issues, dental problems don’t just go away with time. Instead, they’re consistent and can get worse as time goes by. Don’t let the price put you off. There are always payment options to ensure you receive the dental care you need. Feel free to ask your dentist on the cost of a dental crown.
Don’t Put Off Your Dental Restorative Work
Most of us put off dental treatment for one reason or another. Some of the most common reasons include:
- No time to visit the dentist
- The fear of a dental procedure or the dentist
- A lack of symptoms which means people believe treatment isn’t necessary
Putting off your necessary dental work is a big mistake. Dental and teeth problems cannot heal on their own. What might start out as a small and easily treated issue of decay can quickly get worse and become a painful and serious problem that brings with it painful symptoms.
What’s more, the longer you leave your dental problems, the more work you may need and the more expensive it can get.
Some of the main effects of delaying restorative dental treatment include:
- Not being able to eat properly
- Bad breath
- Dental pain that starts as a dull ache and becomes agony
- Tooth infections
- Swelling of the mouth and gums
- Loss of teeth
- Receding gums
- Periodontal disease
- Jawbone deterioration
- A range of dental infections that enter the bloodstream and spread to other parts of your body and your organs.
Delaying dental work for damaged teeth could become a costly and painful endeavour. Don’t suffer the consequences, get the care you need today.